Subject: Re: Support for Dual Ether Passthrough (Firewalling)??
To: Tank <Tank@pg.net>
From: Aaron S. Magill <amagill@uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1996 21:01:35
>Greets all-
>
>        Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with running firewall
>software under NetBSD on the Mac?  I'd like to set my machine (MacII: 8mb
>ram)  up to control packet flow across the two ether interfaces, but want
>to be sure this is possible and somewhat convenient before jumping in with
>both feet as I will need to buy a second ether card.
>
>Any input is appreciated...

I'm not using Ethernet cards yet, but I have setup a ppp link to another
Mac, and another ppp link to my school's dial up modem pool.  I then run
TIS's Fire Wall Tool Kit on my IIx running MacBSD and everything works
well.  The telnet, ftp, and http proxys have worked without a hitch for
about 3 weeks now (not long, I know, but I have only had MacBSD for about 1
month, so I'm happy.)

I did have to modify the TIS source code because the sys_errlist
definitions differed, but after doing that, everything compiled without
further mods.  It also supports an X proxy and gopher proxy, but I haven't
tested those yet.

If you need an ftp site for TIS, let me know... I can dig it up out of my
notes if you need it.

Aaron

--
Aaron Scott Magill                                             amagill@uiuc.edu
}{  "I have SEEN evil!  I have SEEN horror!  I have seen the unholy maggots  }{