Subject: Re: relational database.
To: <>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1996 17:00:19
On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, Kirk Boston (bs ifsm) wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if netbsd1.1 includes a relational database?

I don't think it INCLUDES one, but I know of a good, FREE one, and I
recommend it for anybody interested in DBMS.  IT's called PostGres95, it
has SQL functionality, and is supported by Berkeley!  I'm now (literally)
in the process of installing it on a Linux system, a UnixWare system and
for MacOS (whew!).  There's a supported NetBSD port, and the source is
available.  (In fact, I didn't find ANY binaries...)  It's fully
documented and is a volunteer effort (sound familiar?)  It can be found at:

        ftp://s2k-ftp.CS.Berkeley.EDU/pub/postgres95/

> If it does can anyone tell me where to get some documentation on the package.

Documentation, sources, bugs, ports, examples, and perl interfacing all
included.  The total package (in this directory) tar-gzips to 5 1/2 meg.

> What I am looking to do is set up a database to track IP address use in
> our private WAN utilizing a web browser from different sites in the
> network.  I also plan to use the web to make changes in the database.

Hey!  You stole *my* idea!  Actually, this is why I was looking for
postgres in the first place.  A relational database sure beats parsing
the access-log file all the time!  Good luck with your project; just so
you know "I thought of it first..." [and somebody else thought of it
before me, I'm sure...]

;)

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu