Subject: Re: 3-button mouse support?
To: John P. Wittkoski <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@eden.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1996 09:38:37
> On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, Ken Nakata wrote:
> > If you are using the JPW kernel, then I don't think 3-button mice
> > support is in it.  And sufficiently old MouseMan is known not to
> > support Apple Extended Mouse Protocol (I don't know when they changed,
> > or if they ever changed at all, but that doesn't make much sense, does
> > it?).
>
> The ADBTEST kernels should have the 3-button mouse support. The extdms (sp?)
> routines are in there.

Ah, my memory cells hasn't been updated since the last time I heard
about your ADB driver from you ;-)  Sorry for the incorrect info.

> However, I don't have a Trackman mouse and my
> Mouseman seems to be the pre-Apple-Extended-Mouse-Protocol type. It seems
> that my Mouseman emulates the extra two buttons (in MacOS, that is) by
> pretending that they make up a second "keyboard". We may need a different
> type of support to map this "keyboard" to mouse buttons.

It's a pain in the neck that every single mouse or trackball seems to
have its own protocol!  Maybe we ought to come up with a clean
ADB-driver-mouse-driver interface so that only a small piece of code
has to be written to support a particular type of multibutton pointing
device...

ken