Subject: Re: New to MacBSD
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Jassen L. Bowman <martian@iccom.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/1996 11:38:03
On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>=20
> You've made it to the right place. :-)

Good. Thanks. :)

>=20
> I think it means you're in 24-bit memory mode. You must be in 32-bit
> addressing mode for NetBSD to work.

Installed and on. :)

>=20
> You need a kernel more-recent than 1.1. We're just getting ADB (keyboard
> and mouse) support to work, plus the fpu emmulator (which you need)
> was incorperated after 1.1 was frozen.

OK, I chose the 1.1 release because it is supposedly stable. :) But I'll=20
grab something more recent.
=20
>=20
> Also you might look at getting more hard disk space. NCA, a bay-area
> peripherals company w/ good hard disk prices was advertising Quantum
> 535 SCSI drives for $165 this weekend. You should double-check the
> physical size, but I think such a beast would fit in the LC II.
> Others please correct me if I'm wrong!

I ordered a 540 MB hard drive for this little project. It will be here=20
LAST Monday. :)  I don't know where it is, and neither does the company I=
=20
ordered it from. :)

 > Actually, I see that traceroute says iccom.com's=20
mail is handled by
> zzz.com, which hooks to the internet in Seattle. You might talk to
> Steve Allen, wormey@eskimo.com. He has done a great job of putting
> together releases of the current source. My mac is running binaries
> he compiled (thanks Steve!). :-)

OK, I'll ask him. Many thanks!

                                 \\|//
                                 (o o)
Jassen L. Bowman  *Finger me*             =D2Reach low orbit, and you=D5re=
=20
martian@pobox.com *for more!*              halfway to anywhere in the
http://www.pobox.com/~martian .oooO  Oooo. Solar System.=D3 -Heinlein  =20