Subject: Re: PPP, sup, life, the universe, and everything
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1996 18:18:27
> This is all at 19.2K - I couldn't get 57.6 to work.
>
> I had been getting quite a few zs0a overruns, but they don't seem to stop
> the PPP connection to my ISP from working.  Well, I haven't stress tested
> it, but I managed to download supkit.tar.gz from ftp.netbsd.org w/o any
> trouble, and I am currently supping.  This could take quite some time....
>
> Does tty01 mean the printer port?  Could I have my LCIII dialed in to my
> ISP, and my PowerMac dialed into the LCIII (yes, they all have static
> addresses - I also administer the ISP's DNS, so I kinda decided I needed a
> few static addresses).
>
> All these serial errors, are, AFAIK, without the recent serial fixes, as
> the kernel is jpw's original adbtest, dated Nov 28.

The serial ports did not work very well w/o the recent fixes. The fixes
are important-enough that you really shouldn't try using anything w/o
them.

W/ fixes, people have gotten 57600 to work. Though I don't recommend it
too much as you ARE stressing the machine at that point. Well, 57600
to one computer, and 38400 out the other port to the modem might be
fine. Just don't use the disk drive too much. :-) 38400 should be
better, and I think 28800 would be fine. YMMV.

I haven't had a single ring or fifo overrun since we fixed the interrupt
levels.

Good luck,

Bill