Subject: Re: Still trying to boot multiuser
To: Adam Forsyth , macbsd <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1996 14:51:21
On Feb 13, 10:40, Adam Forsyth wrote:
> Subject: Still trying to boot multiuser

> br-S--S--- 1 768    1792   96,   0 July 24  1926  swapon
>
> the other two were similar.
>
> is that the proper setting?  It looks odd to me.  and why is the date of
> the file 1926?  If anyone has a chance, could you look at the priveledges
> of those files on your system, and tell me if they are different from
> what mine says.

I think we can fairly safely say at this point "BAD filesystem, BAD BAD
filesystem!"  the ls output you quote above indicates that the file called
/sbin/swapon is a block special device, with the set user and group id bits
set, but not the execute bits (and in case you don't know it, that makes very
little sense). /bin/swapon on my nearest NetBSD/mac68k looks like:
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  40960 Dec  5 23:14 /sbin/swapon

Looks to me like somthing scribbled on some of your inodes. I'd say your only
real solution at this stage is to re install. You may be able to do this faster
by booting single user, fscking your file systems, mounting everything and then
ungzipping/tarring everything under NetBSD (after either using cpin from the
installer or hfs to get the install files into your netbsd filesystem). But if
your filesystem is complete toast, you might be better off starting from
scratch.

Bernard.