Subject: Re: Help setting up access to name server...
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Mailbox Administration <general@mailbox.co.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/1996 15:37:40
Colin Wood wrote:

> > named shouldn't be running with that resolv.conf. There are possible
> > performance advantages in running named, in that it could be used as a local
> > cache, but if you wanted to do that, you'd want the nameserver line to be
> > 127.0.0.1, localhost so that you queried your nameserver, otherwise it would
> > never be used.
>
> Actually, I've read that setting it to 127.0.0.1 is a bad idea, it would
> be better to set it to your own IP address, assuming you have a static one.

I can't imagine why.  If you use your own IP address, then you risk it going out to
the network and coming back - why not use the lo0 interface, that's what it's there
for.

In theory, with BSD/resolv, it should be possibly to access the fake nameserver
'0.0.0.0' which is the current machine - I can't myself get this to work.
I use 127.0.0.1 and it works fine for me.

> named for the resolver to work.  It's a little late and I got named and
> BIND confused.

Um - surely they are one and the same - or rather named is based on the Berkeley
Internet Name Daemon - BIND?