Subject: Re: Help setting up access to name server...
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/1996 13:28:18
On Mon, 12 Feb 1996, Colin Wood wrote:

> > 	MacBSD doesn't know how to access my nameserver, and I don't
>
> That should be about all it takes, except for the fact that named needs
> to be turned on in /etc/netstart.  Once you have your resolv.conf written
> out, you can kill -HUP named to make it recognize any changes you make.

??
You've just changed the config file for the resolver. There is no need
to restart the name server. You don't even need a name server (named) on
your machine. /etc/resolv.conf is used by the resolver library
(gethostbyname() et al). You need a name server on the machine where the
name server entry is pointing to.
Just edit this file and wait a few seconds for the resolver library to
take note.

ciao
  lutz

Lutz Albers                                     |       What's good ?
Luederitzstr. 14, 81929-Muenchen, Germany       |      Life's good -
email:lutz@muc.de          ph: +49-89-93940364  | But not fair at all
http://www.muc.de/~lutz    fax:+49-89-93940365  |          (Lou Reed)

Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.