Subject: Re: GENERIC#52 not swapping ?
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
From: Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/1996 00:30:37
Allen Briggs wrote on 11.2.1996
  Re: GENERIC#52 not swapping ?

- > I've just noticed that my mac (running GENERIC#52 kernel and 1.1 stuff)
- > does not swap.
-
- You want it to?

At least I want to see if he CAN swap if the need arises.

- > I've written a small C program that simply grabs as much memory it can get.
-
- Are you actually writing anything into the memory?  If not, it's
- probably not really allocating the backing store for the memory objects.

I've tried it, and swapping he does ...

- > It will always stops at 15MB.
-
- That's probably because of a process limit.  Try compiling something
- sizable and watch the swap usage.

That's new to me. Good to know ... And I've tried to compiled something
larger (perl5, failed so far :( and it didn't swap ...

ciao
  lutz

Lutz Albers                                     |       What's good ?
Luederitzstr. 14, 81929-Muenchen, Germany       |      Life's good -
email:lutz@muc.de          ph: +49-89-93940364  | But not fair at all
http://www.muc.de/~lutz    fax:+49-89-93940365  |          (Lou Reed)

Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive.