Subject: Re: LCII terminal errors
To: Geoffrey Alexander <geoffrey@worf.netins.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1996 23:52:33
On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, Geoffrey Alexander wrote:

> I have 10Megs RAM and a twenty Meg swap -- and I did build devices with the installer
> right after installing the base11, etc11, man11, and text11 packages.  Now, it's not
> impossible that in configuring my hard disk I somehow arranged it so that the swap
> isn't 'mounted' or seen -- how could I check this?
>
> Still, it seems strange that with the screen real-estate I have left after booting to
> multi-user I can do 'ps', 'cat' a small file, or 'ls' any directory I can 'cd' to
> as long as it doesn't run over the screen's bottom line -- but using 'more', 'man',
> or anything that requires a screen refresh kills me. I'd think if the swap were bad,
> it would manifest differently.

This reminds me of the famous ADB input while scrolling bug....  It hasn't
caused problems for a _long_ time, but wasn't the eventual cure "just
use dt"?  Was there actually a kernel fix eventually?  Could it be that
either

A. the bug has crept back into the source tree

or

B. it was never fixed

or

B. the bug fix that worked for one system won't work on LC II's with certain
configurations....

If A, it'll get fixed =:-)
If B, use dt
If C, use dt

To sum up, try dt.  See if the problem goes away.  If it does, it's just
another ADB/scrolling compatibility problem in the console.

Don't ask why I didn't remember that before, though.  Maybe just a
long day.  How old... is that NFS kernel, anyway?  Could it have been
built before the fix?  If so, is there a more current NFS kernel?

Hope that answer helps a little more than the last one,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |