Subject: Can't mkfs on puny Mac II
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David G. Wonnacott <davew@trigati.cs.haverford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1996 19:23:59
I'm trying to do a minimal MacBSD installation on an old Mac II with
8M ram and 40M disk.  I'm not sure if MacBSD can, like linux, run with
no swap space, so I've partitioned for 2.5M of MacOS, 8.5M of swap
(A/UX Swap slice 1), and ~30M of usr & root (A/UX Root&Usr slice 0),
using "Apple HD SC Setup".  I started mkfs; it did 7 "inquiry"s of the
scsi devices, and I selected 3 (the internal disk that I just
partitioned).  I then got the messages

modesense page 4(0)
Error on SCSISelect(), # 2
getdevice returned 2
Partition read, SCSIID = 0
Error on SCSISelect(), # 2

and the "program finished, please check window for any errors" popup.

Any guesses about whats wrong?  This disk was working ok as a MacOS
disk before I repartitioned it, and the 2.5M MacOS partition is
running ok (although I don't have much on it, of course...).  I
believe I did a re-format with Apple HD SC Setup before I
partitioned.

Dave W