Subject: Re: Modem
To: Francis Fang <ffang@grover.printing.uiowa.edu>
From: Kelly Campbell <camk@homer.spub.ksu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1996 16:55:44

> Hi folks, I'm running the generic kernel 1.1 on a IIcx. Everything seems to
> be working well now. I would like to be able to dial into the machine
> directly without going through our University's dialup (which is always
> busy). I have the modem connected to the Serial port and in Booter, have
> set the Serial Cosole option on and selected the serial port.
>
> Now when I dial in, I connect but thats as far as I get.
>
> Is there some setting I need to mess with somewhere in the /etc or kernel?

I have a similar story, and I was just getting ready to post to the list
about it when I read this one. Likewise, I'm trying to setup a dialin line
to serve PPP cause our campus' modems are always busy. Here are some of the
steps I've taken so far to do this:

1. Turn on tty00 in /etc/ttys, set it to std.28800 with the rtscts option.
2. added to#60 into /etc/gettytab so that logins get timed out after 60 secs.

When I dial in, the modem picks up, and almost immediately, the getty process
for tty00 changes to a login process, something like "login -p D/m" where
D/m is some form of garbage, but it's usually part of the login message that
getty is supposed to output to the modem. login is then stuck waiting in
ttyout, and a kill -9 pid for the login process doesn't kill it off.

login is stuck in a trying to exit state, and I have to reboot to get it
killed.

This is with a brand new Hayes Accura 28.8. I've tried many different modem
settings, and even a different modem and cable. cu seems to be able to
communicate with the modem without any difficulties, but getty isn't getting
along with it. I've tried different baud rates in /etc/ttys, and found that
57600 doesn't let it get to the lockeup login state, but it also does some
very weird stuff to the modem, like it doesn't answer on the first ring,
or sometimes at all. If the modem has local echo turned on (ATE1) then the
receive and send lights blink almost continuously while getty is waiting for
a caller.

Does anyone else have a dial-in terminal or ppp server working that could
give us some hints as to what to do. I'd like to write up a nice HOW-TO
for modem stuff on NetBSD, as I haven't found anything that has been able
to help me out very much.

Thanks,
Kelly
--
| Kelly A. Campbell         |    Kansas State University  |