Subject: Re: Strange behavior from gcc
To: Tank <Tank@pg.net>
From: Martin v Weissenberg <mweissen@cs.hut.fi>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1996 11:54:55
Tank writes:
>I recently tried to compile a small C proggy with gcc, and, while it
>compiles fine, anytime I try to run it, I get a
>
>        a.out:command not found
>
>even though I can see the file, rename it, and it shows up with ls -F as a
>binary executable....

On many systems, the current directory (.) is not included in the
shell $PATH because of safety measures.  If you're the only user on
your system, it makes sense to add . to the beginning of the default
path.

Otherwise, try specifying a full path, e.g. "./a.out" instead of "a.out".

--Martin

Martin von Weissenberg   <mvw@hut.fi>   http://www.hut.fi/~mweissen
AASLEAGH, n.: A liqueur made only for drinking at the end of a revoltingly
long bottle party when all the drinkable drink has been drunk. (DA)