Subject: Re: Linux on PowerMac
To: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@eng.umd.edu>
From: Nick STEPHEN <stephen@gr.osf.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/07/1996 15:44:20
>>In fact, we've ported the Mach kernel to the PowerMac and we've ported
>>Linux to Mach as an architecture-neutral pseudo machine. There are
>>very few changes to the generic Linux sources required to do this, and
>>it means that it is simple to keep up with Linux releases (in fact, we
>>expect to have our changes merged in to Linus's distribution). Linux
>>now becomes a pageable task just like all the others.
>
>If this is the case, then does it become possible to run say the BSD Lites
>server side by side with the linux server?  That could really be
>interesting!

Yes, it does, and yes, it can be interesting. When we debug the Linux
server we do so by running it as a user task on another Linux server,
or on the OSF/1 server. Just typing 'vmlinux' at the shell-prompt (as
root) will boot up another server. Of course, you have to be careful
about which partitions the two servers write to...

                [ Nick ]