Subject: Re: Linux on PowerMac
To: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1996 16:12:30
On Tue, 6 Feb 1996 12:08:55 -0600 (CST)
 Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org> wrote:

 > Well, it seems to me that this is something of a contradiction... not to
 > say that your information isn't correct, but isn't this really a Mach
 > port with a Linux server on top?

That's sure what it looked like to me ... I think basically what they did
is make OSF MK 6.1 run on the PowerMac, and tweak their existing Linux
server that appears to already run on the x86.

 > If that is the case, it should be relatively easy to take this work and
 > put a BSD server on top of Mach, or better, a native BSD port.

BSD server on top of MK 6.1 is easy ... it's been done :-)  One neat
thing about deriving a native NetBSD port from Mach sources is that, for
the most part, the pmap is done ... will probably just require some
tweaking.  The rest might be a bit uglier, though.