Subject: Re: Ack! Why won't it let me log in?
To: Milo Sharp <milo@somunix.uafsom.alaska.edu>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1996 12:14:54
On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Milo Sharp wrote:

> 	Now that I've swapped ethernet cards, I'm actually up on the net,
> and can ftp and telnet out.  Unfortunately, every time I try to log in
> from a remote site, it tells me that that account (either of the two on
> the system) is unable to log in from this computer, or some such error.

Hmm.  I can only assume you're trying to login as root, or toor (is the
latter still in NetBSD?).  If this is the case, you have found one of the
security features.  What you should do instead is to create yourself a
normal, unprivileged account ("man adduser") and, if you need superuser
access, add your account to the "wheel" group in /etc/group and use the
su command.

> 	Also, my computer has locked up twice while trying to uncompress
> files.  Is this a known bug?

I've never seen this.

--scott