Subject: Re: Ack! Why won't it let me log in?
To: Milo Sharp <milo@somunix.uafsom.alaska.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1996 09:35:42
On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Milo Sharp wrote:

> 	Now that I've swapped ethernet cards, I'm actually up on the net,
> and can ftp and telnet out.  Unfortunately, every time I try to log in
> from a remote site, it tells me that that account (either of the two on
> the system) is unable to log in from this computer, or some such error.
> Anyone seen this?  Can you tell me where I need to go to fix it?  I spent
> several hours trying to track it down, but there's no NetBSD machine
> nearby that I can compare config files with, and I can't find the one I'm
> looking for without a hint.

Are you trying to login as root?  It will only allow root logins from a
select list of sites, with a select list of tty's, etc.  Two
possibilities, 1. login as something else (add a new user) or 2. wait for
someone who knows how to change the setup of the files to answer your letter.

> 	Also, my computer has locked up twice while trying to uncompress
> files.  Is this a known bug?

Are you sure it's locking up?  My IIsi box (almost netted) often takes
quite a bit of time, in which if I remember correctly there are
occasional periods during which the system appears to be doing nothing,
as it decompresses the data.  Next time it looks like it has locked, try
hitting ^C, ^X, or ^Z (I suspect the first, but not certain) and trying
to get the decompression program to quit.  If you get your shell prompt
the program was either 1. stuck in an endless loop or 2. actually doing
something.  I don't know of a way to check between the two, though,
except to just leave it for a while, have supper, and come back.  :-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |