Subject: Re: Ack! Why won't it let me log in?
To: Milo Sharp <milo@somunix.uafsom.alaska.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1996 09:03:30
> 	Now that I've swapped ethernet cards, I'm actually up on the net,
> and can ftp and telnet out.  Unfortunately, every time I try to log in
> from a remote site, it tells me that that account (either of the two on
> the system) is unable to log in from this computer, or some such error.

That sounds like you're trying to login as root or toor.  That's a no-no
security-wise, which is why it's not letting you do it.  If you really
want to allow root or toor to login over the network, then edit
/etc/ttys (read the man page for details on what to do).

> 	Also, my computer has locked up twice while trying to uncompress
> files.  Is this a known bug?

Depends on how it locked up.  What kernel are you running?

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>