Subject: Re: LW4/600 PS
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/1996 20:35:32
On Feb 3,  2:30pm, Richard C. Graul wrote:
>>        Does anyone have a 4/600 hooked up to their system and working
>>properlY?  I cant get mione to respond...is the light suppose to blink if
>>i were to cat a file to /dev/tty01?    Well..it doesn't...i want to use
>>nenscript or whatever i need to print ASCII files to it with that 2
>>column deal going.  SOmeone help!
>
>If I'm not mistaken, the LW 4/600 has a LocalTalk interface, not a
>serial interface.  Currently, NetBSD does not support LocalTalk, but
>rather, requires that the printer have a serial interface.  As far as
>I know, it is not currently possible to use this printer with NetBSD
>without some kind of interface adapter.  If anyone out there knows
>otherwise, please correct me.

There is a way, if you have a local ethernet network...  LP Daemon
(info-mac/comm/tcp/lp-daemon-34.hqx) turns a Mac into a BSD lp server
which can queue prints from Unix systems to LocalTalk printers.

~Steve

--
#Steven R. Allen - wormey@eskimo.com      http://www.eskimo.com/~wormey/
#

This is for all ill-treated fellows
	Unborn and unbegot,
For them to read when they're in trouble
	And I am not.
		-- A. E. Housman