Subject: Re: more queries
To: John Ostrowick <jon@macenroe.cs.wits.ac.za>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1996 10:08:57
In single-user mode, the filesystem is mounted read-only so that you can
fsck it with little likelihood of causing filesystem damage.  If you
really want to mount it read-write in single user mode, you can

mount -w /

which will mount the root filesystem read-write.  If you have other
filesystems, you need to give the proper device to the mount command.

X will not run in single-user mode to the best of my knowledge, because I
don't think that the necessary daemons to manage the port connections it
must have to run have been started at that point.  You need to exit from
single-user mode (type exit or hit Ctrl-D), which will then run /etc/rc*,
mount the listed filesystems read-write (or whatever you happen to
specify), and then put you into multi-user mode from which you can run X.

Later.