Subject: Re: Partitioning?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David W. Rankin Jr. <rankin@ewl.uky.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/31/1996 08:40:05
> From: wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund)
> Subject: Re: Partitioning?
> To: boogeymn@psyber.com (the boogeyman)
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 22:29:29 -0800 (PST)
> Cc: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG

> > I have Silverlining. Will this work for aux partitioning? Also, i know i
> > need a root&user partition and a swap partition. how much should each be
> > (im willing to give up 4-500mbs of my gig) and do they need specific names?

> How big do you want?

> A good est. for swap is 2x physical (though this number can be something of
> a holy preference). I have 20 meg w/ 9 physical.

I'd echo this, with a single caveat: you also want your total swap + core
memory to be at least 20 meg. When I ran 1.0 on a IIsi with 5 megs and 12
megs of swap, the weekly cron jobs would kill the machine. Of course, that's
an 80 meg drive, so it's not like you have to make a filesystem versus swap
tradeoff. :)

Moreover, if you happen to have any small unused SCSI drives around,
it never hurts to have your swap space on a disk that's not used by
anyone else.

David (The proud owner of a IIsi NetBSD/Mac 1.1 machine. :)
--
David W. Rankin, Jr.  Technical Support, Engineering Workstation Laboratory
   rankin@ewl.uky.edu   PGP Key via http://www.ewl.uky.edu/rankin/key.asc