Subject: Re: Annoying messages
To: Alex Ardalich <alex@dove.mtx.net.au>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/30/1996 10:02:21

> Hi All,
>
> After trashing my MacBSD partitions a while back I've rejuvinated
> the idea of running MacBSD again.

Welcome back!

> I grabbed the latest binaries from eskimo and installed the lot
> (except games) did a multi boot, so far so good. Only near the end
> of the bootup sequence and continuosly while at the prompt (even if
> I'm doing nothing) I get the following continuosly apearing...
>

> Jan 30 18:10:33 myname /netbsd: zs0a:ring overrun
> Jan 30 18:10:33 myname /netbsd: zs0b:ring overrun
> Jan 30 18:10:33 myname last message repeated n times
> (where n maybe 2 or 3)

Hmmm. Are you sure you have the latest kernel? I think it's #51.

zs is the name of the new serial port driver. zs0a is the modem port,
and zs0b is the printer port.

These messages mean that You're receiving data off these ports which
is in turn not getting processed fast-enough by the kernel. Specifically,
characters are coming in, the chip's getting read and the character
stored until the kernel can look at it. The ring buffer is where this
latter storage happens. It's overflowing.

So what do you have hooked to your serial ports?

Take care,

Bill