Subject: Re: MacII EtherNet Woes (HELP!)
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/1996 11:03:50
>On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Ken Nakata wrote:
>
>> > is programming the card with the proper IP address. However, that only
>>means
>>                                           ^^ ^^^^^^^
>> You mean MAC address, right?  You can give it whatever IP address you
>> want, but universally unique MAC address should be assigned to your
>> Ethernet card when your vendor shipped it.
>
>I think when you ifconfig the ethernet card, you tell it what it's IP address
>is and what it's netmask it, etc. so that it knows what packets to ignore and
>which to accept. The MAC ("ethernet") address is assigned by the manufacturer
>and (normally) is hard-coded and can't be changed.

Do you think it would do any good, or harm to ifconfig the card with its
hardware address? That is rather than a made up ip address. What is the
effect of the hardware address being in a different format?

I realize that I could just try this, but I am trying to get past the
mindless trying of everything that occurs to me phase :-)

Brad

Stephen B. "Brad" Salai                       bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com
Cumpston & Shaw                               Office (716) 325-5553
Two State Street                              Fax    (716) 262-3906

Rochester, NY 14614                           Home   (716) 377-4624