Subject: Re: MacII EtherNet Woes (HELP!)
To: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/29/1996 08:55:21
On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Ken Nakata wrote:

> > is programming the card with the proper IP address. However, that only means
>   					    ^^ ^^^^^^^
> You mean MAC address, right?  You can give it whatever IP address you
> want, but universally unique MAC address should be assigned to your
> Ethernet card when your vendor shipped it.

I think when you ifconfig the ethernet card, you tell it what it's IP address
is and what it's netmask it, etc. so that it knows what packets to ignore and
which to accept. The MAC ("ethernet") address is assigned by the manufacturer
and (normally) is hard-coded and can't be changed.

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504