Subject: Re: MacII EtherNet Woes (HELP!)
To: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/26/1996 10:34:07
>On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Brad Salai wrote:
>
>> If so, shouldn't I be able to hang the machine by sending something to the
>> card from the ethernet? This doesn't happen, but the other machine on the
>> network can never connect, even though I have ifconfig'd the card, and
>> netstat shows that things look ok.
>
>Brad,
>Not necessarily. If the ethernet board on your machine is not supported than
>it probably was not configured correctly by the kernel at boot time. If it
>wasn't properly configured, then it probably doesn't really know what
>it's address is. And without it's address, the ethernet board will
>ignore incoming packets that other machines sent to it's (currently unassigned)
>IP address. (Except for perhaps broadcast packets, but if the board is
>not completely set up it may ignore everything coming in.)

That makes sense. Just one more question. When I do ifconfig on the card
and everything seems to work, and netstat -ain or something seems to
indicate that ae0 has the address I configured it to have, does that mean
the card is working, or just that netbsd is configured properly, and the
card might still not be working at all?
Thanks

Brad

Stephen B. "Brad" Salai                       bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com
Cumpston & Shaw                               Office (716) 325-5553
Two State Street                              Fax    (716) 262-3906

Rochester, NY 14614                           Home   (716) 377-4624