Subject: Re: MacII EtherNet Woes (HELP!)
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@insoft.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/25/1996 17:38:08
On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Brad Salai wrote:

> If so, shouldn't I be able to hang the machine by sending something to the
> card from the ethernet? This doesn't happen, but the other machine on the
> network can never connect, even though I have ifconfig'd the card, and
> netstat shows that things look ok.

Brad,
Not necessarily. If the ethernet board on your machine is not supported than
it probably was not configured correctly by the kernel at boot time. If it
wasn't properly configured, then it probably doesn't really know what
it's address is. And without it's address, the ethernet board will
ignore incoming packets that other machines sent to it's (currently unassigned)
IP address. (Except for perhaps broadcast packets, but if the board is
not completely set up it may ignore everything coming in.)

	--John

 John Wittkoski				InSoft, Inc.
 Senior Systems Engineer                Phone: (717) 730-9501
 Email: jpw@insoft.com                  Fax  : (717) 730-9504