Subject: Re: Intermittent lockups (scsi)
To: None <jweiss@mit.edu>
From: Kelly Campbell <camk@homer.spub.ksu.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1996 20:13:39

> I've also noticed occasional machine hangs on my IIci.  They do seem
> to occur most often when I'm doing something fairly disk intensive.
> (backing up my machine aften causes a hang.)  I hadn't convinced it

I can reproduce the problem at will by simply booting with the GENERIC_17 or
the NFS kernel from Steve Allen's site. As soon as it gets to the
"Switching root device to sd0a." it locks up with the drive running.

It seems to be rather stable with only one disk... so I am just using the
one disk now. One thing I've noticed it that several files in my /usr/bin
directory got corrupted... tsort down through most of the uu stuff turned
into block special devices. That's happened twice with another disk attached,
and I've reformatted both times.

Right now I'm running stably on the 1.1 release of everything on a single
drive, and no other SCSI devices.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help get the problem fixed, short
of letting my filesystem get corrupted again.

Thanks,
Kelly
--
| Kelly A. Campbell         |    Kansas State University  |