Subject: Re: Multi buttom mouse for NetBSD/mac68k X?
To: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1996 17:06:47
> The file 3.BUTTONS is a read-me file that describes what 3-button mice
> are supported, and what you need to do to make them work with X11R6.
> (The file should have been on the same ftp site where you got MacBSD X11.)
>
> Basically, you set it up so that the 2nd and 3rd buttons produce certain
> keystrokes (like, Option-down, left-arrow-down, left-arror-up, and
> option-up) so that the X server sees what it expects.

Ah, yes, that's the old story, but still valid.  Note, however, that
key stroke generation is simulated by the device driver for MacOS on
some mice.  If that's the case, you won't be able to generate the
option-arrow sequence under NetBSD/mac68k.

In any case, I strongly recommend Logitech MouseMan or TrackMan for
use with NetBSD/mac68k and X11R6 (no, not because I wrote the
multi-button support, but because it works very well 8-).  I'm quite
satisfied with my TrackMan.

ken