Subject: Re: mirroring NetBSD web pages
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Allen <allen@cssg4.cslab.ds.boeing.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/23/1996 10:56:39
On Jan 23,  8:11am, Uncle John wrote:
>Ok, I'm another person experiencing bootiug problems with the GENERIC_51
>from eskimo. My IIci also freezes just after the sd1a/ line (where normally
>it would get the pram settings just after, then ask for term type).

There seems to be quite a few IIci people having problems with the latest
kernels...  My memory is short; wasn't it the IIci people that were finding
success with the NFS kernel when the GENERIC failed, a while back?

If so, that suggests that there is some problem lurking in the code that
gets masked when code moves around a bit.  Such a thing happened a while
ago with my II; putting 4K of empty space in front of the code moved it
out of harm's way.  (I think it was some kind of interaction with the
kernel doing one thing with the MMU because it's a II, but I'm running
IIx ROMs -- FDHD upgrade, which may require different treatment.  But
I haven't had problems lately...)

If such a correlation exists, we could try the same thing; but it'll take
someone with a IIci to see exactly what it is that's being clobbered.

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - allen@cssg4.cslab.ds.boeing.com
"Dang, I know I left it here somewhere!" "What?" "My mind. I've lost my mind!"

You may be recognized soon.  Hide.