Subject: Re: X Servers....
To: Dave Mays <st92lbwr@dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/21/1996 19:22:29
> I have two monitors, and when I run Xmacbsd, both turn that crazy
> crosshatch grey color, and I am able to move my mouse cursor over the
> entire landscape rather nicely.

Cool.  Sounds good so far.

> However, when I try to start a separate server for the second monitor,
> it fails with:
> dave# Xmacbsd :1
> Couldn't open /dev/adb...
> Fatal server error:
> Device busy

That makes sense.  You've already got an X server running, and two
wouldn't know how to share events from adb, nor would adb know how
to split events between the two.  You don't need two servers, anyway.

> xterm -display dave:1

Try 'xterm -display dave:0.1' for a display on the machine named 'dave',
display 0, screen 1.  '-display :0.1' should also work and may be faster
than dave:0.1 since :0.1 gives the server/Xlib more freedom in choosing
how to talk to each other.  May not matter under NetBSD, though.  ;-)

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **
   Where does all my time go?  <a href="http://www.netbsd.org/">Guess.</a>