Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.1 Install problem
To: None <Myron_B._Krawczuk_at_~PRILVJ11@ccmail.bms.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1996 21:36:41
On Wed, 17 Jan 1996 Myron_B._Krawczuk_at_~PRILVJ11@ccmail.bms.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I know I'm probably missing something basic, but after the 15th time trying
> to install 1.1 I'm at a loss. I have a Mac IIci, 20 M RAM running a bare bones
> System 7.5.1. I formatted the internal 80 Meg drive with SilverLining 5.6 and
> created a 55 M Root & Usr and a 13 M Swap partition.
>     After successfully (or so it seems) installing base11, etc11, and netbsd11
> (after ungzipping them) when I try to boot it says:
>
>     Booting...MID_M68K executable:entry 0x1818.
>     Malloced 1179800 bytes.
>     854480 (0x0) Boot error: Short boot_read. Kernel file corrupt?
>
>     I don't have much room on the MacOS partition, so I've tried installing the
> sets from both a UNIX account (through CAP 6.0) and from another Mac through
> file sharing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
>         Myron Krawczuk
>
> krawczuk@bms.com
> Myron_B._Krawczuk@ccmail.bms.com

Bad NetBSD11 file.  Try downloading that file again.  Make sure you use
binary mode to download, make sure you use the installer to install
normally, don't cpin.  Try the Generic #50 kernel from

ftp.eskimo.com/~wormey/

(from there, it's obvious, though I don't remember the exact path).

Hope that helps some,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |