Subject: various troubles
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <canfield_rw@MIKE.LRC.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/18/1996 01:38:16
Hey,
I have been useing the MacBSD system for about 1 1/2 years... Mostly for
working with c/c++ programming and not too much on the hardware, but have
recenly changed some hardware and moved to the 1.1 binaries...

I am currently running on:
a IIcx
17meg ram
40meg root, 200meg user, and 40meg swap

I have receintly perchased and hooked up a HP DESKWRITER 660c and saw some
info on trying to get it to work...  After putting the 1.1 binaries
I have put in the rc.local file:
   `stty -f /dev/tty01 raw 57600 crtscts`
that was posted by someone on the mailing list here a couple weeks back...
The problem is that the print job seems to go through the print queue system
correctly, but when it gets sent across to the printer, the printer brings up
a sheet of paper, acts like its doing some kind of printing (the head moves
back and forth) and then spits out the paper (occationally haveing 5-10 random
characters printed about 1 in. down the page on 2 consecutive lines), it will
grab and feed through 1 more paper with out doing anything... Any ideas?

I was also wondering if anyone had any success with a practical peripherals
14.4 modem of which I am haveing quite a bit of trouble.  As far as I can
tell it is doing everything correctly, just not diplaying anything to the
screen (like the local echo is off or some such thing).  Attempting to
login in to a remote acount (guessing what input is required when) the RX/TX
(recieve/transmit data) lights seem to coinside with the correct amount of
info I would expect it to be sending (relative to each data transmision...
 Any Ideas here?

The last piece of hardware that I am haveing trouble with is the CDROM
drive.  It is a 2 speed cdrom drive that I got through clubmac... It regesters
as a nec cdrom on the boot...  With the 1.0 binaries and kernel it worked
ok.  It mounted and everything.  When I moved to the 1.1 binaries the
cdrom would no longer mount... I used the:
   `mount_cd9660 -o rdonly /dev/cd0d /cdrom`
and it returned with a device not configured (I don't suppose its as simple
as the device numbers being changed is it?).

Some of this is extreamly vage, (and I am sorry for that) but figured
most people don't need to be concerned with the details of my troubles.
And if anyone has some idea of what is going on I can give you more
details if that will help.  I have had the cdrom working with the 1.0 bins.
and have had an old apple modem working so the system configs "should be"
correct :-)   -- yea right.

Ok know for some other information for the kernel developers (on the powerbook
165c)...  I have been working with it for a while and have come to some
strange results (at least I think so)...  There are 2 kernels that I have
had real (yea right) success with.  The kernel that was posted on sept. 29.
This one had its main success in that it is the ONLY kernel so far to
actually have the serial consol boot work.  The others never quite put any
info out to the external consol and I can actually play around alittle in
the "db>" (which leads to hours of endless entertainment...)  the other
is with the new 1.1 binaries.  Booting directly with the 1.1 kernel stops
putting out boot info after the MRG line (I think), but the most
interesting part about this kernel, is if I setup for a serial boot.  When
I do this, it will boot, but all the info still goes to the 165c screen....
It will make it all the way through to the single user prompt everytime.
However I am on the 165c so no keyboard input can be attained.... I haven't
tryied to make it to multi-user and log in to the serial port as a dumb
terminal or some such thing, but that is my next thing to try...

owell
happy  netting,  bsding, etc.
raymond canfield
canfield_rw@mike.lrc.edu