Subject: Re: fifo overruns
To: Boudreault Benoit <boudreab@ere.umontreal.ca>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1996 19:46:09
On Tue, 16 Jan 1996, Boudreault Benoit wrote:

> I have been running various Kernels recently
> I am currently running
> NetBSD 1.1A (GENERIC) #4: Mon Jan  8 16:33:09 EST 1996     briggs@
> It sends me fifo overruns with stunning speed, for a yay or a nay it
> sends those to me, i am wondering what could cause this because my link
> isn't fast enough to even overload a 2k buffer, verified netstat -m
> and also verified vmstat -m and there is still buffers left
> Am I looking in the wrong places to see why it does that?
>
> Thanks for any help and explanations :)
>
> Ben

The answer lies in this message, posted a few minutes ago.  Sorry I can't
use the > quote convention with the insert feature.

Portions deleted.

Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 10:57:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
Subject: serial ports, and Ghostscript

<snip>

The problem turns out that we misunderstood how to set up the interrupt
levels (spltty specifically). We were turning off interrupts to the
chip when we should only have been turning off the passing of data to
the kernel. We were supposed to stop characters coming out of a
temporary buffer (the ring buffer) when infact we were stopping characters
entering it. Thus it never did much, and we got lots of errors. :-(

I've gotten ppp to work very solidly. I've transfered a couple of meg
over the line w/o a single fifo error. :-)

The changed file is sys/arch/mac68k/include/param.h. Note that changing
it will mean a lot of the kernel needs re-compiling.

<snip>

Take care,

Bill

 =======================================

That pretty much sums it up.  Basically, it's just a matter of waiting
for someone who has the disk space and the processing power to compile a
new kernel.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |