Subject: Re: Argh...
To: Angel Orille-Franz <Angel.Orille@extern.lrz-muenchen.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/16/1996 10:21:47
> Hi,
> I made the experience, that though my second HD has the SCSI-ID 5
> (this is also reported by SCSI-Probe, APS, etc.)
> I have to mount it as /dev/sd1a.
> This is also what the startup messages report in the disk detection.
> So, I guess something is wrong - but it works.
>
> Bye,
>
> Angel Orille

Everything works. I too ran into this problem when I first used NetBSD.
As Ken mentioned, the drives are numbered in order of existance, not
SCSI ID. The reason for this variation is for systems with multiple
SCSI busses (like an internal and an external bus). Having your
internal be sd0c (internal bus) and your external (ID 6, say) be
sdec (e=14 = 6+8, external bus) sounds much worse than sd0c and sd1c.

It's different, but it does make sense. :-)

Take care,

Bill