Subject: 040 (was: Re: PowerPC?)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Rowlands <tomr@oaf.apana.org.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/10/1996 07:43:10
Sorry this didn't make it to the list last time. (and I thought i'd tackled
Eudora.) I left everything quoted for those of you who're interested.

>> How far have you gotten?
>
>It's still having problems with scsi, but I can boot with a Miniroot to
>the shell prompt (if I force it to skip the SCSI driver).

Hmmm... Would the SCSI likely to have changed from the 700 to the 630?

>> 1. Is there any way to make it output the full screen (dunno what it's
>> called sorry) text be dumped to somthing like a text file?
>
>Nope.  By the time it's switched over to NetBSD, we have nowhere to
>write a file.  The Q630 may have a different architecture for the serial
>ports--I'm not sure.  Did you try hooking up a terminal or another
>computer with a terminal program to the modem port?  The terminal or
>terminal program should be set to 9600N81, and you can test the
>connection by running ZTerm on the Q630 (also set to 9600N81).

Yup. Tried another terminal; which was a PB 100 running ZTerm. Not a sausage. :(

>> 2. How does it sense what machine I am running?
>
>Gestalt.  The 'mach' type, I think.  Is 98 correct for the Q630?
>I'm going to add it to the list.

But Gestault returns "Macintosh" with System 7.5! (doesn't it? :)

>> BTW: if anyone is looking for UN*X on their Mac NOW, then get MachTen
>> Professional NOW. It rocks! (but getting NetBSD working would be better...
>> :) Unfortunately it takes forrrrreeeeevvvveeeerrrrr to install. But that's
>> a small whim considering what it delivers.
>
>:-)  I used that for a while on my Q700.  BTW, I think you just sent this
>to me, not to the list.

Yeah... Sorry people!

--

Cheers.

Tom Rowlands                                               (06) 292 6854
tomr@oaf.apana.org.au                     APANA member, and proud of it.
    There is a reason why MacOS is the worlds most popular 32 bit OS.