Subject: pppd errors
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Syam Gadde <gadde@cs.duke.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/09/1996 11:53:04
Thanks to those who told me where to find the kernels that work on
the IIci.  Now my next question:

I've been trying to get PPP running for a while now and have had
little luck (my aim is to get X apps running remotely through a
modem line).  What I'm using is something to the effect of:

pppd tty00 19200 connect 'chat "" ATMW1 "" ATDT6848771 CONNECT ""
ogin: <userid> sword: <password> emo ppp' modem defaultroute

chat runs perfectly, and starts up ppp on the remote side.  So now
they're negotiating.  This is where the problem is.  The remote side
sends packets (LCP I guess?) but my pppd doesn't understand them.
It gives me an error message that every character sent had the high
bit 0, and therefore my line is not 8-bit clean.  Well, when I used
MacPPP (with no problems) the LCP packets the remote ppp sent me
were all ASCII characters, so of course the high-bit was zero!
So I don't think this is the problem.

Also, when I tried it using NetBSD 1.0, it wouldn't give me the
above "8-bit" error but would just wait for a long time, ignoring
the packets that the remote site was sending.

Sorry I'm being so vague; I'm not at my Mac right now, or else I'd
tell you exactly what's being printed (I'm also having trouble
getting debugging output with syslog.conf w/ NetBSD 1.1; has
anything changed?).

Anyone else using PPP recognize any of the above?  Thanks for any
help.

-syam

-----
Syam Gadde....................LSRC D339..................(O) (919)660-6594
Department of Computer Science, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0129
email==>  gadde@cs.duke.edu ========= http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gadde <==WWW