Subject: Re: New user, new install
To: Michael Rousseau <rousseau@bou.shl.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1996 20:50:24
On Mon, 8 Jan 1996, Michael Rousseau wrote:

> I have just installed NetBSD/mac v1.1 on my IIci (32/580) with standard
> internal Mac video and  RGB 13" monitor.
>
> During installation, I got unexpected EOF errors installing base11,
> netbsd11, and etc11.  I escaped from these and tried it with several
> distributions from several sources.  Adam Delu recommended untarring the
> gzipped files first and doing a "zinstall" from the Mini-Root shell.  I
> haven't done this yet.

Try gunzipping them, untarring them, retarring them, and giving it
another round.  That shouldn't happen, though.  When you downloaded them,
you did set your ftp software to binary mode, right?

> The problems I am experiencing are:
>
> *  on login, tset wants to set my display.   What are valid options (vt100,
> vt220, and ascii don't work)

odd.  vt100 should work, but it must be lowercase, I think.

> *  If I 'cd' to a subdirectory, then do a 'pwd' it says "/root" and won't
> respond to a 'cd /' or 'cd ..'.

eew.  That sounds nasty.

> Is this installation hosed?

>From the sound of things, probably.

> Can I recue it, or do I need to work some
> magic and reinstall?

rm -rf dev
rm -rf etc
rm -rf bin
etc...
but not rm -rf usr if you've got anything installed.

Reftp the files, reinstall, rebuild devices, reboot.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |