Subject: New user, new install
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Rousseau <rousseau@bou.shl.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/08/1996 15:51:20
I have just installed NetBSD/mac v1.1 on my IIci (32/580) with standard
internal Mac video and  RGB 13" monitor.

During installation, I got unexpected EOF errors installing base11,
netbsd11, and etc11.  I escaped from these and tried it with several
distributions from several sources.  Adam Delu recommended untarring the
gzipped files first and doing a "zinstall" from the Mini-Root shell.  I
haven't done this yet.

The problems I am experiencing are:

*  on login, tset wants to set my display.   What are valid options (vt100,
vt220, and ascii don't work)
*  I can't use vi in multi-user mode due to an improperly set display
variable above.  Hard to get networking up or modify files without editing.
I can cat to a file, however.

*  If I 'cd' to a subdirectory, then do a 'pwd' it says "/root" and won't
respond to a 'cd /' or 'cd ..'.

Is this installation hosed?  Can I recue it, or do I need to work some
magic and reinstall?

Also, are there X packages out there specifically for this distribution?
Do I get FSF X11 and compile it myself once I get the system up properly?
I have never built a UN*X system from the Net before, only from tape and
CD.

Thanks for any wisdom,

Mike