Subject: Re: SCSI and Mice - disktab
To: Adam Nicol Delu <abam@ohwig01.houston.omnes.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1996 11:22:09

> On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > Uhm, I thought disktab was only used by newfs and friends. At least
> > on Ultrix, that's how it works. When it comes to actually talking
>
> Oh.  Maybe I've been doing things wrong then.  I created a "free AUX
> partitition slice 3" with APS.  I ran the MacOS utiltity Makefs on it,
> then attempted to mount the drive:
>
> mount /dev/sd1c /opt

ACK!!!!! Don't mess w/ sdXc!

> But always was told that the disk could not be mounted, had bad superblock
> counts, etc. . . . .fsck usually got an i/o error. I then attempted to run
> disklabel on it, which grok'd because I did not have an entry in my
> /etc/disktab file.  I wrote one, ran disklabel on the drive, then ran
> newfs on the drive.  I was then able to:
>
> mount /dev/sd1c /opt,
>
> So I wrote something appropriate in my /etc/fstab to mount the drive in
> the future.  Now on boot, I get a message about fictitious geometry,
> which seems pretty fair, all things considered.  It works though, and I
> don't get I/O errors on the drive.
>
> I started writing the disktab with information from diskpart, but later
> scrapped that and just went for a simple geometry.
>
> Just sort of faked it all from manpages, the header of the disktab file
> and my ORA BSD 4.4 SMM, so I'm glad it worked at all.
>
> > to the drive in the kernel, we go out and ask the drive itself. Since
> > our partitioning is done by MacOS, we don't really need disktab,
> > AFAIK.
>
> Okay, so partitioning is done already, but why can't I see the drive?
> Maybe I need to specifiy that it create a /usr partition instead of a
> free partition?
>
> I already have a 250MB Root & Usr partition on my 540MB drive, and have it
> mounted.  I just want to get the 80MB as an extra drive, since I'm
> getting low on space now.

You can't see the drive because you've broken the partitioning. :-(

At present, we use MacOS partitoning, not NetBSD partitioning. I mean
that the partitioning data we read is standard MacOS partition data.
We DON'T read a disklabel off the disk; we make one up from what
the MacOS partition table says. In fact, our disklabel routines don't
write a disklabel to disk (even though you ran disklabel).

The reason we do this is so that we are compatable w/ MacOS and w/
A/UX.

I think you should start over. Repartition w/ APS, and run mkfs
(the Mac-side utility). Use it instead of a NetBSD command as the
installer only understands older ffs's. Oh, make a root partition,
or a USR partition, not a free one.

Boot up NetBSD and run disklabel to see what's on the disk.
sd1c will be the whole disk, while one of the other partitions
(a if it's a root, I think g if it's a USR) will be the partition
you made w/ APS. Mount that partition & you're set.

Take care,

Bill