Subject: Re: SCSI and Mice - disktab
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Adam Nicol Delu (Web Information Group) <abam@ohwig01.houston.omnes.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1996 11:55:04
On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Uhm, I thought disktab was only used by newfs and friends. At least
> on Ultrix, that's how it works. When it comes to actually talking

Oh.  Maybe I've been doing things wrong then.  I created a "free AUX
partitition slice 3" with APS.  I ran the MacOS utiltity Makefs on it,
then attempted to mount the drive:

mount /dev/sd1c /opt

But always was told that the disk could not be mounted, had bad superblock
counts, etc. . . . .fsck usually got an i/o error. I then attempted to run
disklabel on it, which grok'd because I did not have an entry in my
/etc/disktab file.  I wrote one, ran disklabel on the drive, then ran
newfs on the drive.  I was then able to:

mount /dev/sd1c /opt,

So I wrote something appropriate in my /etc/fstab to mount the drive in
the future.  Now on boot, I get a message about fictitious geometry,
which seems pretty fair, all things considered.  It works though, and I
don't get I/O errors on the drive.

I started writing the disktab with information from diskpart, but later
scrapped that and just went for a simple geometry.

Just sort of faked it all from manpages, the header of the disktab file
and my ORA BSD 4.4 SMM, so I'm glad it worked at all.

> to the drive in the kernel, we go out and ask the drive itself. Since
> our partitioning is done by MacOS, we don't really need disktab,
> AFAIK.

Okay, so partitioning is done already, but why can't I see the drive?
Maybe I need to specifiy that it create a /usr partition instead of a
free partition?

I already have a 250MB Root & Usr partition on my 540MB drive, and have it
mounted.  I just want to get the 80MB as an extra drive, since I'm
getting low on space now.

BTW I installed both internal drives into the IIci!  Had to make the
floppy external--used the 1m rainbow-ribbon floppy cable from an Apple II+,
which works fine (the cable, not the II+). :-)

I noticed there seems to be an automount utility.  Is that working on
MacBSD yet?  Does it only work for /home/ directories?

> Take care,
>
> Bill

Adam Nicol Delu                                              Omnes-Houston
Web Information Group            A Schlumberger / Cable & Wireless Company
tel: 1 713 513 3249                             5599 San Felipe, Suite 400
fax: 1 713 513 3126                                      Houston, TX 77056
e-mail: delu@houston.omnes.net                                       U.S.A.