Subject: Re: SCSI and Mice - disktab
To: Adam Nicol Delu <abam@ohwig01.houston.omnes.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/04/1996 09:12:24
> > would there be any interest in a sparc-sun-solaris2.4 -> m68k-mac-netbsd1.1a
> > cross compiler?  If so I'll get one running and get it out.
>
> well, yes, actually.  That would be a huge help.  I'm sure my Sparc20 at work
> will be a bit faster at compiling than my IIci!

I think something like this would be good, too. I don't have
a Sparc, but just knowing how to get gcc set-up to do the compile
would be great (and would help flush out the how-to files) :-)

> As for the drive problem you're having, er. . . . .I get similar
> nastygrams from the boot sequence, but have no real problems.  I
> attributed this to the fact that I wrote my own /etc/disktab file, with
> more or less fictitious entries.  I used an 80MB quantum and only
> squeezed about 62MB out of it. . . . I'll try again some time.
>
> Anyone have a disktab for an 80MB quantum (out of a IIvx) and/or a 700MB
> quantum lightning?

Uhm, I thought disktab was only used by newfs and friends. At least
on Ultrix, that's how it works. When it comes to actually talking
to the drive in the kernel, we go out and ask the drive itself. Since
our partitioning is done by MacOS, we don't really need disktab,
AFAIK.

Take care,

Bill