Subject: Re: MacBSD on Powerbook 230 (fwd)
To: Richard Ervin <rervin@oasis.novia.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1996 14:30:29
On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, Richard Ervin wrote:

> How far can I expect to get using the GENERIC kernel with no FPU?  I've
> been trying to get a non-FPU version of the kernel via this forum, but
> so far nobody has volunteered one.

If you mean with emulation, it's not quite ready yet.  Most kernels
should at least work without an FPU, though.  You might try
Netbsd11-patched, though, as it has a few bug fixes.

> 68030 33 MHz
Should use standard 030 internal MMU.

> with the Minidock
> 2 normal Macintosh serial ports
> second 640x480x256 display available (Can be mirrored)
> ADB
> external SCSI interface
> A/UX 80 MB at SCSI 3
> FDHD Floppy Disk Drive
>
> Maybe an external display would make a difference?

Give it a try.

> Hooking up a serial
> terminal will be a bit of a pain.  I think I can set up my Mac Plus with
> a 6.1 boot disk and a serial terminal emulater (Zmodem).  What serial
> port settings would I use? I would guess 9600 N81.

Well, I certainly wouldn't expect most people to have an old VT100 terminal
hanging around.  Yeah.  Use ZTerm or pretty much any other modem program
with a normal cable in between (mini-8 to mini-8 printer cable) at 9600
8N1 ot N81 or whatever they'll call it next year.  :-)

> I'm pretty sure that my internal is a SCSI.

They're all SCSI (on Mac, anyway).  There was some special type of SCSI
internal drive used on a few of the 040 systems that behaved strangely.
Looking at the FAQ on puma, I see it is the IDE drive used in a handful
of Quadras.

The external monitor idea sounds like the most promising - at least
you'll get your 640x480 standard resolution, though my PB145 works okay
with internal video, just no ADB.  Bummer.

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars              Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@nyx.cs.du.edu              --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw -or- http://nox.cs.du.edu:8001/~dgatwood |