Subject: Re: Got Colour Classic booting!
To: macbsd <mcoevoet@vub.ac.be (Coevoet Marc), port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bernard Gardner <B.Gardner@eng.usyd.edu.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 01/02/1996 21:33:19
On Dec 30, 21:44, Coevoet Marc wrote:
> Subject: Got Colour Classic booting!

> I have a Colour Classic 6Mb RAM, fpu.  I use an external terminal...
>
> It is strange, but trying to go multiuser doesn't work yet:
> on both the Mac II and the Colour Classic I get:
>
> (rc and rc.local completely executed, I traced that)
> kernel security level from 0 to 1
> panic: kernel jump to 0
> ... unlk a6
> debugger>
>
> Anybody?
>
> BTW, all other kernels stop booting at
> moving video $hex $hex
> (except for the for.mays kernel, that doesn't go as far in
> multiuser as the for.jim kernel)

I suspect that your problem is occuring when init attempts to start login on
ttye0, the mac video console. Try switching off that line in /etc/ttys,
switching on /dev/tty00 and/or /dev/tty01, and see if that works.

I don't quite know why this is like this, but it's probably related to the
video and adb subsystems not being correctly configured when you use a serial
console.

Bernard.