Subject: Re: Can't boot NetBSD11
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Steve Allen <allen@cssg4.cslab.ds.boeing.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/19/1995 11:10:33
On Dec 18,  7:29pm, "The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>" wrote:
>Try the IIci patched versions of the kernel available on eskimo.  BTW,

The patched kernel is on puma, not eskimo.

>you did remember to create a swap partition, didn't you?  With an 8 Meg
>system, you'll need a swap partition of 16 megs.  If you haven't created
>one, use HD SC Setup or APT to create one.  Don't do a mkfs on it.  If
>you accidentaly did a mkfs, delete the partition and create a new one.

It won't hurt to mkfs the swap space; it won't help, either.  The swapper
treats the swap space as raw data space, and whatever filesystem info was
written there is ignored (and overwritten).

>After the swap partition is in place, you must build devices again in
>order for NetBSD to recognize it.  (Correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

Swap space is accessed through the disklabel, not a special device file;
building devices is not required to use it.

~Steve

--
Steven R. Allen - allen@cssg4.cslab.ds.boeing.com
"Dang, I know I left it here somewhere!" "What?" "My mind. I've lost my mind!"

Give me the Luxuries, and the Hell with the Necessities!