Subject: Re: Native boot [was Booter 1.8]
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz <davagatw@mars.utm.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/15/1995 23:33:20
> Any way to disassemble the "About this Macintosh" box code?  :-)  MacOS
> does it somehow.  The question is, how?

There are gestalt calls for it, but the problem is how to determine it
in the first place...  I think the ROM does it as part of the power-on
sequence and it stores it in some low-memory global or something.
Perhaps.

> However, your statement above gave me an idea.  Move the
> running program to somewhere above location 0MB.  Store some clearly
> distinct pattern (like the text string from the font display window) at
> location 0MB.  Then, just go through, starting at 1MB, moving on to 2MB,

I'm not sure what the problem with this approach is.  We did try this at
one time and ran into some problem...

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **