Subject: Re: PPP (chat) question
To: Zachary E. Beese <zachb@iastate.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/1995 09:15:57

> Hello all,
>
> I've been running MacBSD on my powerbook 180 for about 3 days :)

Cool!

> As it is now, I can only run with the serial console (modem port).  I am
> wanting to get PPP running with my SupraFAXModem 28.8.  I tried to get
> chat to send the init string and stuff to the modem, but it seems to all
> go to the console (ATZ) and waits for the console to to send back OK?  I
> assume this is because I have the terminal plugged into the modem port
> and chat wants to use the modem port?  I can't serial boot with printer
> port checked for some reason, it just dies and nothing goes to the
> terminal.

I'm confused. Where physically is the modem? Internal? And you still
have a printer & modem port coming out the back of the computer??

> So, is there a way to get chat to talk to the printer port, since that
> is where my modem has to be plugged in to?  Do I have to modify any
> other files like /etc/ttys or any others?
>
> I'm anxious to get PPP running, any advice would be greatly
> appreciated.

It seems strange to me that the modem would be hooked up to the printer
port, unless you have connected it that way. If you have, then you
have to tell pppd to use tty01 instead of tty00.

Take care,

Bill