Subject: Re: PPP login sequence? ISDN vs. modem
To: David C. Myers <dcmyers@access.digex.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/11/1995 12:55:10
> Does anybody know what the actual PPP login sequence goes like?  I'm having
> the strangest problem logging in to my two accounts.  When going through a
> 14.4 modem, the PPP 'chat' script works fine, and as soon as the connection
> is made, the server prompts me with "login:".  This is how I expected it
> would work.
>
> But...I use an ISDN terminal adapter to access my other account.  My NetBSD
> system (SE/30) won't support the full bandwidth of an ISDN line, but I can
> still talk and make calls at a DTE rate of 57.6.  When I try this, though,
> I get the "CONNECT 57600" message, but no further prompting for a login and
> password.  Eventually, it will come back with "NO CARRIER".  Anybody have a
> clue why it would work with the modem and not work with the ISDN modem?
> There doesn't appear to be any special prompting I need to do, as the login
> prompt comes up automatically with the modem...Furthermore, the ISDN TA is
> supposed to behave in every way like a Hayes modem.

Hmmm. Sounds either like this "Hayes" modem is configured a wee
bit different. Maybe the ISDN provvider wants something from you
after the CONNECT?

> Note that from MacOS, I can use the ISDN box normally.  MacPPP has no
> problem with it calling to the same service provider.

Can you get MacPPP to log the transaction? Maybe it's either setting the
modem parameters differently, or it sends something in reply to
CONNECT. ??

Good luck!

Bill