Subject: Re: sources & binaries
To: None <brown@cards.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/1995 23:39:15
> gunzipped.  I tried to extract them using SunOS 4.1.3, the
> directories were created as executable files, not direcotories.  The
> same trick with Solaris 2.4 would create the directories as
> directories and extract all the files.  Is there something funky
> going on with the tar files.

I don't know why this would have changed, off-hand, but I can tell you
what's going on, I think (sight-unseen, take with a pillar of salt ;-).

tar in earlier Unix systems (SVR3 comes to mind, but others, too, I'm
sure) did not archive directories.  Directories were created as needed,
with default permissions.  Newer versions of tar (GNU--which is what
we're using and SVR4) store directories, too.

Now, it's possible that the src dists were built with pax instead of tar
this time, or something like that.

-allen

--
Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **