Subject: Re: Will FreeBSD fun on an 68lc040?
To: iai6njm <iai6njm@mvs.oac.ucla.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/25/1995 12:05:25
> I have a powerbook 540c, and would like to run FreeBSD
                                                 ^^^^
Well..., I don't think >Free<BSD runs on any Macs, at least not for
now.  What I'm curious about is you correctly address this inquiry to
>Net<BSD.ORG (though there's a better mailing-list to ask this
question) yet you seem to think there's a version of FreeBSD that runs
on Mac...  I assume you really mean "NetBSD" by "FreeBSD" (and I CC'ed
this reply to the right mailing-list, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG).

> (I'm *sick* of the MacOS)...will this version 1.0 run on it?

Answer is definitely "No".  Even 1.1 won't run on the PB5x0 due to its
"odd" hardware whose programming model is unknown to anyone but Apple
itself.

> Or do I have to wait for a newer version

Yes, you do.  I can't answer *when* the newer version that supports
PB5x0 will be out.

> (if so, is there anything
> else out there that makes a mac similar to UNIX or DOS?)

You gotta be kidding, aren't you?  DOS is better than MacOS?  Wow!
Well, seriously, I've heard MacMint and another UNIX emulation
software which run on any Macs, but I don't know much about them.
There must be more knowledgeable people than I, on this list...

ken