Subject: UnErase story
To: <>
From: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/22/1995 11:02:21
I know this is NetBSD's listserv, but I'm hoping somebody out there can
help me with a small problem I had a few days ago with my Mac:

I'm running System 7.5, which does some funny stuff, and I uploaded a
tar-zipped file to my Unix account for school and then placed the file in
my trash can, after logging off my account.  I then turned off the monitor
and left quickly for class.  I came back from class, logged in again
(SLIP connection), went to my account, and immediately typed "rm" instead
of "mv".  (whatever was I thinking???) so I thought:  OK, no problem,
just pop that baby out of the trash can and... whoa!  It's not there
anymore!

My file disappeared from the trash can without much of a trace.
Panicking, I opened up Norton Utilities 2.0 and attempted to unerase the
file onto another partition and drive.  It told me "100% recoverable"
beforehand and "Recovered" afterward, but when I checked on the size of
this new file, it was 16K instead of its original 327K.  No big deal,
right?  So I panicked a little more (uncompressed this file is over 1Mb
of text or so) and tried a few different strategies.  I found out that
this file existed as two physical entries in the directory, and twice on
the B-Trees.  However, Norton thought it would be friendly and show me
only one of the duplicate file.  The problem is that the one it picked
for stating 'recoverable information' was not the one that it was trying
to recover.  A few more programs, I tried, and recovering the file, they
did not.

I took one more look at the cover of my Hitchiker's Guide (which didn't
stop me from panicking) and went to Apple's HDSC setup program, to lock
that partition.  After a few reboots I was able to lock the partition so
I couldn't possibly write to it and make it any worse, then went in with
a disk editor.  The file DOES exist on the partition, but it's fragmented
beyond belief.  I need to figure out how to find all the fragments and
try to fiece together what I can of the file.  It's very important to me
and it's tar-gzipped text.

Does anybody have a nice program to do this (Norton and I aren't on
speaking terms now) which can at least tell me how to find the file
fragments, if not recover the file completely?  Even if I can recover 90%
of the file, I'll be very happy.

Thanks to everybody who had the time to read this hillariously true
story, and especially to those who can help me.  My last resort is to pay
a fortune to have them crack open my 160Mb drive and recover the file the
hard way, and I don't want to do that!

:(

--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy
 email: pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu, pett0019@itlabs.umn.edu